Monday 18 December 2017

Willow are now dormant so I'm preparing for next plantation. Dec 2017.

As you can see in the picture below, the willow is now dormant. All the leaves have fallen, and the branches closely resemble the original whips that I bought. I suppose they should, as that's what they were! In the background you can see a yellow stripe which I have sprayed, ready to plant next years rotation. I plan to plant another 2 rows with 100 trees in each, entirely from the whips I trim off this years trees.




Interestingly, the tops of most of the whips, above where the branches have finished, appear to have died. I guess there is no need for life beyond the uppermost branch. the pic below shows this quite clearly. 


I have now erected a tall electric fence to keep deer out. As there is no power nearby, I selected a 12v battery fence and installed a solar panel to charge the battery. so far so good! This also means that I can have animals in the rest of the field without risking them eating my willow, which is apparently very appetising to most animals. The fence cost me €50 for posts, €120 for energiser and tape, €25 for isolators and €75 for a battery. Total € 270. I had the solar panel lying around. 









No comments:

Post a Comment