Monday 20 March 2017

1 week old....



Buds starting to appear already. I'm planning to "Pollard" rather than "Coppice", which means that after year 1, I will cut the new growth back to the top of the whip, rather than to ground level as you would if coppicing. For pollarding I understand that I have to remove all buds except for those at the top 2-3". This is easier when the buds are 2-3 cm long and can be snapped off by hand (pic to follow in a couple of weeks!).

The advantage of pollarding for me is that I will be cutting the stems at 2-3ft from ground level when mature, rather than ground level. Saves the back injury! Also, should help keep the bunnies off the new growth as it'll be higher off the ground. I am slightly concerned about the deer though......

1 Year growth on pollards (c) The Willow Bank





No comments:

Post a Comment